Thursday, November 19, 2009

Illustration Friday - Unbalanced


Crossing the creek by way of stepping stones, was not as easy as Victoria thought it would be. Only one of them on this adventure didn't seem to have any trouble: Whiskers. Cats were just nimble that way. Claude on the other hand, didn't even make it to the first rock without sliding in. Well, "sliding" wasn't exactly the word to describe what he did, more like "galumpfed" in. Thank goodness Nevin wasn't around to see this. As far as big brothers go, Nevin was the worse. He always complained about how clumsy and klutzy Victoria was. It was a relief he wasn't here to see this spectacle.

What do you guys think? Sometimes my work feels flat. Do my pieces convey action, movement, expression or do they feel flat to you too? Honestly, the truth may be painful sometimes, but that's how we grow. Thanks!

8 comments:

michele said...

Yes, this captures the action! It has an expressive quality that's easy to interpret and relate to.
My pups and I cross a creek on our daily walks- one is cautious, like your kitty, and the other "ga-dunks" down the bank, up the other side, then returns to splash several times, looking for crawdads. I always let them go first, so I don't tumble in!

Pencil Pocket said...

i think the characters feel very alive in this scene! they're definitely expressive. very nice!

Indigene said...

Great story line, wonderful composition and I do love her hair! :)

Unknown said...

I feel my stuff feels flat at times also- but I think you've done a terrific job showing movement it is very balanced:)

Dear Fireflies said...

Nicely done, Michelle, as always your work has a lively story to it :)

jcdillustration said...

I think the expression and movement work well. The colors are really nice together too. I think the objects look solid too. The only thing I can find which may give you the feeling of flatness is that the strokes you use in the grass are the same in the foreground and background. Maybe you can try making the grass lines smaller in the back and see how that works. You are great at finding interesting situations to illustrate!

Ann Marie DiVecchia said...

You consistently have a lot of action and expression in your work. Maybe it's feeling flat to you because of the viewpoint? It doesn't bother me, though. I like the composition. Your pieces are always lively and fun!

Jane Grant Tentas said...

I especialy like the body language of the cat, that little turn of his head. Nice work!